Welcome to the blog of Paul Burkhart. Take a look around, read some posts, click some links, and please feel free to engage in the discussions. Be sure to check out the links above for more information.
If you know who Cornel West is, I’m pretty confident in saying that what you think you know about him is probably wrong, or at best, dramatically incomplete. If you don’t know who he is, then you should. For my … Continue reading
This weekend, I finally watched Steve McQueen’s Twelve Years a Slave. Yes, I’m over-dramatic as a general rule, but I can’t remember the last time I cried like that (actually, it was probably after I saw McQueen’s last movie, Shame).
The brutal reality of the film combined with the knowledge that this wasn’t hypothetical–this was real–broke me. Further, it wasn’t just real for this one man, but for our entire nation. The brokenness, evil, and callousness of it all was staggering.
And we’re still doing it today.
No, I’m not exaggerating. The effects of slavery in this country are still absolutely tangible, apparent, and real. And frankly, too many of us don’t give a damn.
There are still people alive today that knew slaves when they were younger. That’s how recent this whole thing was. And yet, we’ve done to racism what we’ve done to every other thing we should engage with meaningfully but don’t–we’ve privatized and individualized it. We’ve redefined “racism” to mean harboring active, conscious, discriminatory thoughts and feelings towards someone of another race.
- Rhythms of Faith & Freedom
- A message from Philly’s mayor to my church
- What the Supreme Court on Gay Marriage can tell us about ISIS
- On #Ferguson: Why Police & Military Should Be Different [QUOTE]
- The Refuge of the Embattled Soul
- Cultivating Your Soul to Lead
- My first Sunday Morning Sermon. I’d like to share it with you.
- A Baby Step Against My Latent Racism (And Maybe Yours?)
- Hey Church Planters! A Quick Question for you.
- A Sermon I Got to Preach on Isaiah 61 [VIDEO]
- Congrats to the Women of the Church of England!
- Faith & Grace Alone: Job & the New Perspective on Paul| Job 9
- #Marginalia Weekly Round-Up #6 [Catch-Up]
- Is There No Rest for God’s Weary Ministers? | Mark 6