Welcome to the blog of Paul Burkhart. Take a look around, read some posts, click some links, and please feel free to engage in the discussions. Be sure to check out the links above for more information.
Believe it or not, I don’t really have much experience at all in preaching. Yeah, I’ve spoken and “preached” at some things, but I’ve still never offered the preached proclamation at a Sunday worship service. It’s an area I’ve wanted … Continue reading
I’m currently reading through Ruth Haley Barton’s Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership. Occasionally, I’ll post reflections on my reading.
In my seminary program, there’s a lot of talk about one’s “True Self”. We live so much of our existence living from the place of masks, coping mechanisms, fears, anxieties, etc.–our “False Selves”. Articulating it like this is so helpful in some ways, but in others can be frustrating.
At least for me, this “True Self” seems so deeply inside of me, so elusive, that I’ve very much resigned myself to never actually knowing this self. Like a celebrity or historical figure, I’ve had to learn to live with the reality that I’ll never actually meet this person, no matter how much I may want to. I’ve come to terms with a reality in which I just need to be gracious with myself (just as God is) that most all of my life and existence will be more “False” than “True”, and I just need to make the best out of that.
- My first Sunday Morning Sermon. I’d like to share it with you.
- A Baby Step Against My Latent Racism (And Maybe Yours?)
- Hey Church Planters! A Quick Question for you.
- Congrats to the Women of the Church of England!
- Faith & Grace Alone: Job & the New Perspective on Paul| Job 9
- #Marginalia Weekly Round-Up #6 [Catch-Up]
- Is There No Rest for God’s Weary Ministers? | Mark 6
- Job’s Friends are Right! Job’s Friends are Wrong.| Job 8.5-7,20-22
- Should Protestantism Still Be a Thing?
- How Preaching Saved Me from Evangelicalism’s Bible
- Paul: The Second Coming of Jonah?
- Logos Bible Software & Evangelical Insecurity
- The Privilege of Holiness; The Holiness of Privilege
- Seminary & Ministry in the Post-Everything World