Slate magazine has a great article and accompanying slideshow featuring their favorite church signs from around the country. Some make it because of their phraseology, some their ghetto-ness, , and some because of their simple sincerity and devotion to our Lord, even though resources were obviously tight. Below is my favorite. You can find the pictures here.
Also check out their other Easter and Religio-centric articles. There’s at least something of interest to everyone. And don’t worry, there’s even some stuff in there for all you atheists and agnostics out there! Let me know what you think of any articles you read:
- Passionate Plays: Gory Easter productions miss an important part of the Gospels.
- Why Was Jesus Crucified?: A historical perspective.
- That Curious Idea of Resurrection:How early Christians grappled to accept the idea that Jesus returned from the dead.
- Happy Crossmas!: Why Easter stubbornly resists the commercialism that swallowed Christmas.
- Jesus and the Gospel—What Really Happened?: a Debate
- A Skeptic’s Guide to Passover: Scientific explanations for the parting of the Red Sea, the 10 plagues, and the burning bush.
- A Behind-the-Scenes Look at Holy Week: a look behind the curtain of a D.C. Cathedral.
- Easter Tips for Heathens: Haven’t been to church in a while? Here’s a cheat sheet to get you through Sunday’s service.