As of today, it is Christmas season!
Today, we turn our minds from the sin that required God to take human form in Jesus Christ, and we give ourselves the freedom to respond with unfettered joy to this fact. We give gifts in response to the gift that’s been given to us; we sing songs in response to the heavenly angelic song that inaugurated his birth; we eat good food with others in response to the body of Christ–the bread of life–having come among us.
Today begins the culmination of our thinking and meditating these past 4 and half weeks. This Advent, I’ve been trying to connect this time to parts of life that we may not usually associate with it. And so, if you have any time and interest, here are those posts from this year’s Advent series (and by the way, holy crap. I had no idea how much I had written this year until I made this list).
May they help you enter into this next Church season with depth and joy. (You can also check out last year’s series, if you want.)
- Welcome to Advent, 2012!
- Free Advent Mixtape Available Now!
- Herman Bavinck on the Advent Incarnation
- Advent & Politics: The Government is on His Shoulders
- Advent & Mary: Ordained as Prophetess, Priestess, & Queen
- Advent, Evolution, & Absolution
- Herman Bavinck on the Advent Election of Mary
- Advent & Humor: stop taking yourself so seriously
- Advent & Suffering: silent only for a time [GUEST POST]
- Advent & the Connecticut Shooting: Ross Douthat’s “The Loss of the Innocents”
- Advent & Sex: we are holy ground
- Advent & Sex-lessness: here’s to singleness & celibacy!
- The Surprise of Advent: WordPress Weekend Photo Challenge
- Advent & the Goodness of Worldliness, c/o Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Art & Advent’s Intellect: Barnett Newman’s “Black Fire”
- Advent & Christmas: they’re not the same thing (Ode to a Christian Calendar)
- Advent Transition Music: Christmas Eve “Vespers” by Sergei Rachmaninov