scripture readings for the week.
as the week progresses, check back here and click on the appropriate day for Prayer and Scripture text for that day
- Palm Sunday: Psalm 24 // Isaiah 50:4-9 // Luke 19:28-40
- Monday: Psalm 51 // Isaiah 42:1-9 // John 12:1-11
- Tuesday: Psalm 71:1-14 // Isaiah 49:1-7 // John 12:20-26
- Wednesday: Psalm 70 // Isaiah 50:4-9 // John 13:21-32
- Maundy Thursday: Psalm 116 // Exodus 12:1-14 // John 13:1-17
- Good Friday: Psalm 22 // Isaiah 52:13-53:12 // John 18:1-19:42
- Holy Saturday: Psalm 31 // Job 14:1-14 // Matthew 27:57-66
The Maker of man was made man, that the Ruler of the stars might suck at the breast; that the Bread might be hungered; the Fountain, thirst; the Light, sleep; the Way, be wearied by the journey; the Truth, be accused by false witnesses; the Judge of the living and the dead, be judged by a mortal judge; the Chastener, be chastised by whips; the Vine, be crowned with thorns; the Fountain, be hung upon the tree; Strength, be made weak; Health, be wounded; life, die. To suffer these and suchlike things, undeserved things, that He might free the undeserving, for neither did He deserve any evil, who for our sakes endured so many evils, no were we deserving of anything good, we who through Him received such good
-Augustine of Hippo, “The Confessions“
On the seventh day God rested
in the darkness of the tomb;
Having ﬁnished on the sixth day
all his work of joy and doom.
Now the word had fallen silent,
and the water had run dry,
The bread had all been scattered,
and the light had left the sky.
The ﬂock had lost its shepherd,
and the seed was sadly sown,
The courtiers had betrayed their king,
and nailed him to his throne.
O Sabbath rest by Calvary,
O calm of tomb below,
Where the grave-clothes and the spices
cradle him we did not know!
Rest you well, beloved Jesus
Caesar’s Lord and Israel’s King,
In the brooding of the Spirit,
in the darkness of the spring.
more on the why and how of Lent here.